Tuesday, March 27, 2012

DC: A LESSON IN IRONY



On June 12, 2012 DC will release a DVD called, "SUPERMAN VS. THE ELITE". This DVD is based on Superman #775 entitled, "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and The American Way?" by Joe Kelly.

In the 1990's there was a comic called "The Authority" (who are described in an article on the BLEEDING COOL website that you can read HERE ) as a "team of self-appointed moral guardians of the planet, saving it from the bad guys. In a possibly too subtle note, the lead characters were the bad guys themselves, just up against something worse." Joe Kelly in his story created "The Elite" a version of "The Authority" in DC Comics. A group of bad guys who fight worse evils than themselves and are considered the "good guys."


(THE JUSTICE LEAGUE OF DC'S NEW 52)

DC Comics has even turned "The Justice League" into a version of "The Authority" starting in issue # 7 according to Bleeding Cool which says about the contents of the issue, "They act independently of government, even when suckling on its teat. They are autonomous weapons of mass destruction, that the American government distrusts and fears. And despite the good that they do, and the reaction of the audience, they are sloppy, lazy, self assured and… well, basically, the bad guys. It’s just there are worse things out there."

I guess you could call it ironic, that the behavior that DC is condemning in one project, they are supporting with their comic book line.

I'm reminded of a quote from Walt Whitman who said, "Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes."

I will be watching the "SUPERMAN VS. THE ELITE" DVD and the "JLA: DOOM" DVD's and posting a review for each.

CLASS DISMISSED,
THE PROFESSOR

No comments:

Post a Comment